Thursday, October 28, 2010

For sale

Xander has been throwing tantrums all morning. It started when Soren put on the exact pair of white underwear he wanted to wear. Mind you we have a whole drawer full of them - but those where the ones he "needed".

I made pancakes with strawberry toppings this morning. First I cut the pancake wrong so now he can't eat it. Then after a few minutes of whining he proclaims in a most hideous complaining voice, "You forgot syrup. I want it now!" (remember the delicious handpicked, homemade strawberry topping that he loves that is already on the pancake?). I then proceeded to have a very familiar conversation on how to get what he wanted and how to ask for it. He has perfected snotty, demanding, entitled statements that I have ethical issues cooperating with. It lasted for a few minutes when he accidentally said "please" among all the demanding. Trying to encourage any positive behavior I quickly changed from my "it would be wise for you to behave" voice, to "helpful nice mom who is ready to listen" voice and said, "oh you said please. I love it when you say please. What can I do for you?" Realizing his own semi-polite mistake (he was whining when he said it), he decided it was better to abort all together then actually do something I wanted him to do. He quickly responded with resolution "noffing."

Did anyone read/memorize "where the sidewalk ends" like I did? If so you will understand this poem I dedicate to my youngest son. Originally it is "sister", but for my needs I have changed it.

For Sale

One son for sale.
One son for sale.
One crying, spying young son for sale.
I am really not kidding.
So who'll start the bidding?
Do I hear a dollar?
A nickle?
A penny?
Oh isn't there. isn't there, isn't there someone who will buy this young son for sale?
This crying spying young son for sale.


5 comments:

lilibet said...

Reading that, I'm grateful for Abby's personality! She tantrums, but she's not quite like that.

Natalie Smith said...

Why do kids have to test you and push so many buttons? I feel sorry for your morning...I have had those too many times.

B.E.A.T.L.E. said...

I love that poem! It was one of my favorite's growing. It was applicable then, It's applicable now!

Kacey said...

I'm sorry you had a rough morning! I love that poem and I have been known to, on occasion, answer the phone by saying, "Oh, is this a call about my son/daughter who is for sale?" Hang in there- we've all been there!!

Quinae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.