Sunday, October 3, 2010

70 year anniversary

Ryan's Grandpa and Grandma have been married 70 years in September. 70 YEARS!! I don't even know if I am going to live that long. They are one of the cutest little couples I have ever seen. I believe they are 91 and 92 years old. Howard (grandpa) is from S. Dakota I think and grew up on a farm with a twin bother - youngest of 6. He always loved working in his shop and was quite handy as far as I can tell. They use to raise honey bees. He still tinkers around in the shop building bird houses. I just love it. I like getting him on reminiscing stories because he has several great ones. I just think he is the most cutes and delightful 92 year old man I have ever met. His wife is as sweet as can be as well. They are always smiling and quite amiable. They tolerate my kids running around and asking them questions like pros.

Ryan's family never really dies. Both his mom and Dad's side of the family is going to live forever. Ryan probably will too. Which is why I married an older man. You see it was a calculated decision. Half my family can't make it past 65, so I figure with my age difference and my gender Ryan and I just might die around the same time......maybe. It helps Ryan justify eating all the stake and pie he wants anyway.
Here is Ryan's family along with his Dad's extended family. Children are somewhat of a scarcity on that side. We are so grateful for Theo, Ryan's sisters boy who is just a few months older then Xander. He is full of life and drama so he gets along with my kids just fine. It is fun to get a lot of attention for our kids as they are extra special since there aren't as many. On my side I think the 17th grandchild is brewing and as the youngest of 6 I wasn't the first to do anything. However marrying into Ryan's family I get to the first for a handful of things and that has been fun.
Way to go Howard and Phyllis. You are an insperation and a delight. Here is to many more years!!

2 comments:

lilibet said...

I was wondering how many 92 year olds you know?

Natalie Smith said...

Oh my goodness! That is an accomplishment for sure! They are adorable!