Monday, January 25, 2010

Binkieless and diaperless-ish

Two massive mile stones this morning. Last night I cut a little hole in Xander's binkie - trying to get him off it (he uses it whenever he sleeps). Anyway, Xander is 2.5 yrs old but speaks quite well and he puts it in his mouth, sucks a few seconds, removes it, looks at it, puts it back in and repeats until he examines it again and then says,

"There is a hole." then he looks at me and thinks for a minute and then says, "you cut it Mom!"

What?! They aren't suppose to know that. I have heard of this tactic moms ploy several times and they never accuse the mom of cutting it - regardless of it's truth. Trying not to lie but also trying to keep the spotlight off the blame I said,

"you don't know that. It could have warn out all you know. The only thing you really know is it is broken!"

Surprisingly Xander was satisfied with that and then says,

"cut it some more".

Quinae says, "you know that won't fix it.".

Insisting Xander says, "cut it bigger".

Quinae, "Do you want to do it?"

X - "No, you do it."

Quinae cuts it, Xander laughs (this is going better then I thought it would).

Q - "Do you want to cut it". Xander grabs the sizzors and cuts away. It is now shredded.

Xander then pronounces, "I am a big boy now. I don't need a binkie".

"Uh oh" Quinae thinks. "what is going to happen. It should not be this easy." "Great" I say. "lets say prayers."

Xander's usual prayer pattern is to put his binkie in, and then take it out to say prayers. Realizing this ritual will be no more he says with a scrunched face,

"I need my binkie or I am going to cry!"

Clarifying I say, "you want your broken binkie?"

Without missing a beat Xander says, "No, I am a big boy I don't need a binkie."

We say prayer, I tuck him in and then he realizes what not having a binkie means again and we go through this I need/I don't need my binkie routine about 6 more times over the next hour. But alas he went to bed and he didn't really even cry. Although he did wake up twice crying in the night for 15 min or so. Pretty exciting!!! Then to make up for crying in the night, he woke up and said he needed to go potty. We have been potty training for weeks and he is a hit and miss during the day and he always needs a diaper at night. Well, I rushed him to the potty and alas, his diaper was dry!!! Ahhhhhhh! How awesome!! I feel like my little boy is growing up!! Which I am all for!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad I found your blog!!!! I can't wait to catch up and read it all. Hope you're doing well!

lilibet said...

Xander is hilarious! I love that he knew exactly what you were up to. I wish Abby would decide that being a big girl was cool ... she still won't eat much unless I spoonfeed her -- literally. It drives me nuts.