Sunday, March 4, 2012

Courageous Soren

Today my son Soren bore his testimony at church. I was so proud of him. I know grown adults who won't even do that! Here is how it played out.

Today my newest niece, Eleanor, had her baby blessing. We all went to her ward to support her and her family. Of course it was fast Sunday which is a day where anyone in the congregation can go up and bare their testimony of what they believe. I had a stirring in my heart, you know that feeling that you should go up and bare you testimony. I felt like I had done it fairly recently so I was sort of bummed. I didn't want to go up. "Really, do I have to?" I said to my feeling. I thought about ignoring it and not doing it, but then the thought came, "okay, but your still accountable." "Uhg, alright, you win." I reluctantly committed to go up after the next person. My mom beat me to the punch so I had to sit up at the front to wait my turn. All of a sudden Soren starts coming up. I started to have a flood of thought. "Oh shoot. We have never practiced bearing testimonies. We really haven't even talked about testimonies, except for what they are. Oh dear!" I gave him a crash course in testimony bearing while my Mom spoke.
Q -"Soren what are you going to say up there?"
S -"I am going to say, I am so grateful we all believe in Jesus."
Q - "That is great Soren, but how about you talk about what you believe in and what you are grateful for." I drilled him on what he believes in and what he was grateful for. Right before it was our turn he said, "No Mom, I want to say different things." That struck fear into my heart. Ahhhhh! What is he gong to say when he gets the microphone?! My crash course in testimony bearing time was up and now we would just have to wait and see. He wanted me to come up to bare my testimony first, so I did. Then he got up and I gave him a few seconds to start on his own. He got real close the microphone like it was an ice cream cone with lips touching it and give a big slow deep breath in and then looked at me. 2 minutes of testimony coaching just fell out of his brain. Phew! Stage fright prevented him from doing anything a 6 year old really wants to do with a microphone. I asked him what he was grateful for and it was all the trigger he needed. He then bore the cutest little testimony "I am grateful for Jesus and that I get to pray to him and I love my family in the name of Jesus Christ Amen" and then literally ran away back dow to his Dad grinning ear to ear!

Oh how proud I am of his one sentence testimony. Especially since I have been such a bad teacher on this topic. I don't incorporate formal teaching into our week as much as I should. What a sweet little boy. Man I love that kid.

2 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

Man...I panicked for you. Your writing is great in this story. What a sweet ending.

JoLynn said...

What a good boy!