Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Xander's ipod

Xander does not have an ipod. However he really, really, really wants one. I don't know why. I barely got one a year ago for Christmas. He thinks they are magical though and loves how he can listen to music that no one else gets to. He asks for an ipod all the time. I keep telling him that they cost lost and lots of money and only big kids usually get them. I think this intrigues him more, not less. I have often told him that he could earn the money for it but it would take a long time. He has never explored this option........until today.

Last summer I started paying the boys for chores. I wanted them to get the chance to buy things they want so when I am in the store and they beg me to buy stuff I can say, "Do you have any money?" and them to actually have a potential of having money. I also want them to connect money to hard work to motivate them for hard work, however I didn't want them to be able to opt out of chores if money isn't motivating - you still have to do your chores. So this is the system I came up with.

10 cents for every chore (some of these chores are barely chores, but things I want them to take personal responsibility. Getting dressed, brushing teeth, cleaning room, making bed, setting table, cleaning up toys, feeding animals and most recently cleaning bathrooms, sorting and folding laundry and vacuuming.)

20 cents if you do it without me asking. I would pay serious money for a self driven kid to do chores.

no money if I have to ask more then once.

Until recently, Xander has never been motivated by money. He just would say, "Soren will buy it for me, so I don't have to earn money." Soren is way too generous and kind with his money. Because of this attitude I have had to put my foot down with a new rule. "You should know Xander, I will not let Soren buy anything for you, no matter how nice he is or wants to. Sorry dude." What really has recently increased Xander's interest in money is when he realized money buys gum. And when you are the owner of the gum pack, you can have gum anytime you want, but when Mom is the owner of the gum pack, it is doled out very sparingly. Xander loves gum. So, he has felt the power of money and now I come to the ipod.

So today he begged for me to buy an ipod like he does every week or so and again I told him to earn the money. Well today the lightbulb went off and he became driven. So driven that he has
  • cleaned the whole bathroom (granted this takes forever and I am involved a lot, but it is good training. Can't wait for the future)
  • cleaned his room
  • made his bed
  • got dressed
  • brushed his teeth
  • vacuumed upstairs
  • cleaned up all the toys upstairs
  • and is now sorting the laundry and will put away his own laundry.


After every chore he asks if he made enough to buy the ipod. I told him he needs to earn 40$ (we are big craiglist fans) but that number just isn't sinking in, so we made a little poster with a check box by each dollar up to 40$. I can't believe the chart alone hasn't deterred him yet. I don't know how long this is going to last but it has been one amazing day.

He was amazing cleaning up the play room. He was so motivated and put everything where it belongs very quickly. It goes to show you that 4 yr olds are so capable when they aren't complaining and feeling abused.

$2.5 down - $37.5 to go.