Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Coin

Last weekend we went camping with 6 other families. It was so fun and we are repeating the adventure this coming weekend. We camped at a luxury campground where they had a swimming pool, miniature golf, a little pond/lake that you could canoe on ect. There was also a near by lake that we jet skied and tubbed on. It was really fun. When I think of this trip the biggest constant for me was how funny Soren was. He is in this stage where he says the funniest things.

On the first night we are at the lake and having a picnic dinner and swimming. Soren is at a different picnic table from me. A few minutes later he come over,
Soren, "Mom, I swallowed a coin and my throat hurts."
Q "What?! You swallowed a coin? What do you mean you swallowed a coin?"
S "I was sucking on a coin and it accidentally slipped down. Last time when I did this I could get it back out. But this time I can't."
Q "What? What do you mean last time you could get it back up? Why are you sucking on coins? Here drink this water. "

The coin passed further down slowly. 15 minutes later he is feeling much better and ready to play. Through more investigation we determine the coin is a penny. Before he runs off to play we review wise council.

Q "Soren, what are you going to do if you find a coin again?"
S "I am going to throw it back into the ocean."
Q "Are you going to ever put it in your mouth again?"
S "No."
Q "Why not?"
S "Because I already have one in my body."

..........not instilling confidence.

Wanting to make sure the coin passes without problems I instruct Soren to let me know when he poops so I can investigate. Ah the glory of motherhood. A day in a half later at breakfast Soren comes running from where he is playing and yells,

"Mom, I need to go to the port o potty. The coins going to fall out!"

Nice.

On a less gruesome note, Soren got a lot of "girlfriend" time in. McKenzie was at the campout.
Some of my favorite lines of his were,

While carying a plate of fruit yelling, "Kenz, Kenz, I want to share some food with you. Kenz, come here!"

After a full day of play at the beach with McKenzie, while we drove away Soren says with a big sigh, "Tomorrow I am going to just spend some time with my girlfriend."
Q "Oh? What are you going to do?"
S "Just spend time with her and having fun."

Is he hearing these lines somewhere?

At one point it was starting to get dark and we were all packing up to go when McKenzies mom said a bit worried, "Does anyone know where McKenzie is?"
Q "Hmm, well where is Soren?

Sure enough, down the beach was Soren and Mckenzie just talking and sitting in the sand and sort of playing in it. I need to hang around those two more. Ease drop a little. What do 5 year old love birds talk about anyway?

1 comment:

Natalie Smith said...

Oh! Quinea...I am dying! Soren is too much. Thanks for the laugh.