Friday, September 17, 2010

What have I been up to?

So with my kids in preschool I get a couple hours to myself a twice a week. What have I been up to? Glad you asked. I have been itching to do trim around my interior windows and fireplace. I haven't wanted to buy blinds until my trim is up because it will change the size. Well, we have been living in our house for 5 months and I am tired of no blinds so I got my rear in high gear and went to work. I have never done trim before but I loved it. It was so fun to do. I did 7 window and the slidding glass door and a fireplace. I purchased real wood appose to MDF for the flat inside window part (I am sure it has a name but I don't know what it is) because it was oddly cheaper and real wood must be better then sawdust glued and compressed together and protected by paint. Well, I understood in a hurry the benefits of MDF. It is pre-finished and already smooth. The sanding and priming of the wood took FOREVER! All in the name of $70 and principal. I am hoping I learned my lesson. Look at me all safety conscience. I was so proud of myself wearing the googles and so consistently and everything. A splinter in your eye will encourage all sorts of good practices.
My helper - I use the term "helper" loosly
My humble first shop. Soon to be more organized. I just got a 8ft long table cabinet for free (love you craigslist - I can't wait to meet Craig in heaven) that I am in the process of painting to help me in my organizing endeavors
This is what the fireplace looked like when the builders got done with it. Note the tile work
I did this in the summer but this shows the little extra tile work I did. I really like doing tile. It was my first job.........and you can tell but that doesn't bother me. I think it looks great, especially from this distance!!
And here is after I put the trim on. I haven't painted it or finished painting my walls even. So you can see the trim as good as if ti was all done but it look fantastic. I think I love trim. I love the contrast of colors and the boarder it makes. I really like lines.
Oooh, ahhhhh - it will look better once I paint it
This wall has already been painted so you can see it much better...........I can't seem to take a straight picture, can I? Anyway, so now I have A LOT of finish work and painting to do. Sigh, not my favorite.

4 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

I love the new look! Your hard work paid off!

Kacey said...

It looks great, Quinae! You also never cease to amaze me with your skills. :)

Cailean said...

Wow!!!! You are amazing!!!!

JoLynn said...

So talented! Looks great!