Friday, September 17, 2010

Soren Skills


There are a lot of great things about Soren. One of them is his creative building gene. However, since he is a boy, this outlet often comes out in the form of weapons. I thought I would showcase what I am talking about.

Once Soren learned how to use scissors he has made paper swords daily. It wasn't until about 5 months ago that he started making 3-D weapons. This was one of his first and quite honestly scariest design. We had just moved into our house so we had ample tape and tools laying around. He would take any sort of staff or staff like object and tape on anything pointy. Anything you could insert in the sentence, "Don't run with _____ or you could poke your eye out" - he would tape to these staffs. There were about 3 or 4 weeks that I was continually dismantling such weapons. My favorite out of sheer resourcefulness was a tube of saran wrap used as the staff with a screw driver taped to the end. Luckily he moved on to different mediums.

I don't know if you can see, but this has about 10 pens without caps tapped all around this pole.
I just needed to show Soren how a real worrier would hold and use such a crafty weapon. I am not helping my cause here am I? I just couldn't help it. Soren took the pictures.
I was thinking Maori here


Every good pirate needs some weapons. The sword is a paint stick he cut a point on and the hook he taped to his hand is made out of cardboard.
This was a the latest he did today and I loved it. He made this completely on his own. In fact he made all these things on his own. He just disappears for a while and then comes back with weapons and now armor to match. I love it. The sword in this case is made of cardboard. I like how the armor is a halter top.
These are his best guard posses.

4 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

A true boy! Very beleivably, scary weapons going on over at your house. Soren is talented!

Kacey said...

That boy is unbelievably creative! He never ceases to amaze me with his weaponry:)

lilibet said...

A boy after my own heart. :)

Hamblin Family said...

Quinae I just love your blog! Your kids seem so much like you! Just using their imagination to get things done! I think your house is beautiful and I am impressed with how much you have done on your own!! You are superwoman!!