Saturday, July 17, 2010

Camping

This week the boys and I went camping with my mom for 3 days at Rasar state park. It was awesome. The boys loved it. I told the boys about the camp out on Sunday evening and we were leaving Tuesday morning......way too early. I was pestered about it for the next 36 hrs. Soren was so excited that he buckled himself in the car at 9am on Tuesday. I peaked my head in and told him we weren't leaving for 2 more hours and he pleasantly said, "thats okay." and proceeded to patiently wait for the next 45 minutes buckled in the car. If only Xander wanted to do that......

Anyway, the weather was a perfect sunny and 75 deg. We were in "walk in sites" which means you park in a parking lot walk in 50 -100 ft to you campsite. The perks of this was there were very few other campers, no cars to run over my kids, no radio from cars blaring and it was cheaper. I am a fan of walk ins now.
This park is so cute and nice. It is about 1/2 mile walk down a beautiful trail to the river where they have soft fine sand - perfect for playing. The river is cold but that doesn't seem to stop the boys much. Because of the walk there are few people there and we have the beach all to ourselves. It was a delightful relaxing trip.


I loved being with my mom and chatting for hours and having a good working relationship. I cook - you watch the kids. You clean up - I watch the kids. We both pack up the site and we tie the kids to the tree. Ha ha. You think I am joking but here is proof. It was their time-out spot. The boys were actually fabulous for the camp out, but of course they got a lot of attention. When left alone for but a few moments they solve their own boardroom problems quickly (opening the water spicket full blast, throwing rocks at your brother, unpacking tents ect.) which result in getting tied to the tree until they claim they will behave themselves. The best part is, my mom came up with the consequence. She is the best. It worked great. I am contemplating installing a post to tie the boys to in my house. If only I knew before we picked house plans.

5 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

Cute lil' campers! What a fun Mother/daughter trip. That camp site looks beautiful!

lilibet said...

That is a really pretty spot. I'm looking forward to it! It's so cool that it was just you and your mom. I bet you loved it.

Kacey said...

I'm glad you had such a fun trip with your mom. And I can't wait to go camping there later this summer!

Hamblin Family said...

Sounds fun and what a great punishment! It's nice to have Moms around sometimes!

JoLynn said...

I just laugh when I read about your boys, and at the same time want to give them a big sqeeze. We miss you guys so much! Keep up the good work. I can see your great parents. :)