Sunday, June 13, 2010

Celestial chicken

I love celestial animals. You know when you have meet one when your young child does all manor of torture to it and it just stands there and takes it. Never retaliating and rarely running away. They are wonderful and I am sure going straight to heaven when that child accidenlty kills them. I have had a few goats like this, but this is the first chicken I have ever had that I actually think I love. I mean who loves a chicken? Usually not me. They are strictly useful animals that are somewhat entertaining and kids enjoy running after. But this little chicken is definantly celestial. Soren takes him out every day and holds him, runs with him, throws him over fences and off the deck (I don't let him do this. He just does it and I always take the chicken away and tell him how horrible that is for the chicken and he always says, "But mom I want him to fly.") The latest abuse was today. I was in the house on the couch and Soren was playing outside. Suddenly he comes in the house and goes, "look mom!" and shoves a chicken in a gallon zip lock bag in my face. It totally scared me. My brain couldn't quite figure out what was going on for about 2 seconds. I mean a fully feathered chicken was in a ziplock bag not moving. Was it dead? Did is suffocate? Will it have brain damage? Was it really a chicken? Did Soren do other things to it while I wasn't looking? All these questions plus 100 more flashed in my brain in 2 seconds. I grabbed the chicken opened the bag and popped his head out. I first started sternly saying, "Soren, we don't put live chickens in ziplock bags", but by the 3rd word I was laughing. Have you ever seen a live chicken in a ziplock? Once the fright subsides it is really funny looking. Unfortunately for the chicken I had to put him back in the bag to take a picture, but then quickly took him out and reminded Soren living animals should never be put in ziplocks, but of course I was thinking in my head, except for pictures but hopefully he did catch that. Here he is. Just chillin in my hand. No chicken I have ever had would do this.
Here he is in a ziplock. Poor guy.
My chicken tractor that I built. I move it every day or two but the chicken poop is so "hot" (lot of nitrogen) that it burns the grass.
These are pictures Soren took. I love the perspective of this picture. Giant chicken little house. Actually alot of his pictures were pretty good and little bit different then I am use to in the angle because he is so much closer to the ground.
Another Soren picture
I love these next two pictures. It just shows how chill this chicken is. Soren just sat with the chicken for 20 minutes and the chicken just sat with Soren. Just a couple of guys, hanging out.
Unfortunately the chicken is a roosters, and we can't keep him. This wonderful animal will probably be eaten at a young age. Not by me but I am going to sell him and roosters are only good for 2 things - fertilizing eggs and eating.........and you don't need too many fertilizers.

Update - while putting Soren to bed I asked him why he put the chicken in the bag to begin with - a question that didn't occur to me at the time. He said, "I didn't want it to poop in the new house." Cleaver. He wanted to bring it inside - a big no no - but not poop in the house, so he put it in a ziplock. My kids definently solve their own problems.......for good or for bad. Right now it seem mostly bad but I know one day......one very distant day it will be good.

4 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is too funny! Is this the same chicken he has loved fromt he start - named soren? It will be a very sad day when his chicky friend has to leave :(

Dawn said...

Boy, you have some funny stories!

Quinae said...

No actually, it is a different chicken. His Soren chicken was a tan one and he couldn't tell it apart so he abandoned it started liking this other chicken. I have already told him the chicken can't stay and he is like, "okay, I want it to have a good home." Neither of the boys have ever been sad when we have got rid of an animal......and we have changed out a lot of animals.

Kacey said...

Love it. I'm glad Soren has such a good little buddy who puts up with him :)