Sunday, May 2, 2010

Building projects

I built this little landing with stairs so we could actually use out sliding glass door. This was a delight because we installed a slidding glass door where a window use to be on our old manufactured house and I never built the deck because we decided to build a new house instead so I was delighted to actually get to start using this door. The deck wasn't too bad but it was the first time for me to build this long of stairs and to do the railings which turned out to be trickier then I thought it would be. This deck is designed to be temporary as we would like to build a big deck in a year or so (when we have some more money again). So, this deck was made out of left over wood from building the house. I can totally see us having to replace a car or two in the next year and this deck lasting a lot longer.....so I was sure to make it of non-pressure treated wood so at least one day it will rot and then we have to replace it. ;)
I finally finished putting in my hardwood floors. It was about 600 sq ft. of nail down strand woven bambo. This stuff is awesome! It is gorgeous, and super hard and dense. You can take a hammer to it (not full force) and it won't even dent. The finish can scratch with sharp edges of things, but it is really amazing for wood. Anyway, I installed it almost complely by myself. It took me FOREVER! I did it in 4 days......but not 4 normal days. These are the hours I logged on it. 16hrs + 20hrs + 13hr + 14 hrs + 63 hrs. The last day I called some friends to help because I had to finish that day and it wasn't looking good. I love my friends. They came to my rescue and we got a lot done and pretty much finish that day. I am very happy with the results.


After the first day of being in this position and knealing and getting up a million times, my quads, and back were soooooo sore. Not hurt just muscle sore. The next few days were rough, but by the last day, I could do hours of labor like this without even feeling much. It was awesome. Thank you Thompson genes for quick muscle building.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Beautiful floors, you did a great job.

lilibet said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you did it by yourself.

lilibet said...

Except for Jake and Janea on the last day. :)

Natalie Smith said...

So awesome you did this! They turned out great!