Monday, December 3, 2012

Breakfast Bites

While we were eating our waffles this morning this event occurred.

Quinae:  "Xander take that thumb tac out of your mouth.  I don't like that!"
Xander:  "Why?"
Quinae: "Because if you swallow that it could poke a hole in your intestines and spill poop all inside your body, making you very sick and you might even die."
Xander (mater of factly stating): "But then I will get to see Jesus."
Quinae (chuckling):  "Yeah, then you will get to see Jesus.  But you won't get to see your Mom, Dad and brother again for along time.  Pro's and con's ya know."
Soren: "Yeah and they don't have toys, or even video games in heaven.......but they might have food." (a residual point from a previous conversation a few days ago.)

Ah, I love these conversations.  You should note that 15 minutes earlier when they sat up for breakfast, the boys got into a fist fight, punching, slapping, hitting and pushing.  I think someone took someones toy, or maybe chair.  I can't seem to keep all the reasons for the countless fist fights and name calling that is done in our house.  Soren can de-escalate pretty quickly, but once Xander is in that mood it is pretty darn hard to flip him, but I had success with this method (an idea given to me from a friend who did this with her girls when they were little).

Quinae:  "There will be no breakfast unless you apologies....... and hug each other."  I was in the mood for a show.  Soren quickly did so in a sweet manor.  Xander literally crossed his arms turned his back to us and said, "Hmmmf"  Ah, the show I was waiting for.
Quinae:  "That is fine Xander. You don't need to do it.  Only do it if you want to eat breakfast." Some snorting and grunting then came out of Xander followed by a teeth clenching and the words barely escaping his lips, "Sorry Soren."  I would normally not except this, but seeing how it was a multi step process, with the harder of the 2 steps still needing to be done, I let it slide."
Quinae:  "Okay, now hug him."
Xander:  "I am not hugging him."
Quinae:  "Good.  More waffles for me."
More grunting and flexing of the muscles in frustration continues.  Then a quick jump off the stool and hugging of Soren's stool leg followed.
Quinae:  "The stool is not Soren."  More protests and a pitiful lean onto Soren was claimed to be a hug.
Quinae:  "That was weak.  Okay now I want you to both give each other 3 compliments to each other, taking turns."  Now I was enjoying the power hungry boys gives a mom at breakfast time.
Soren quickly begins. "Xander I like your hair.....and your shirt.  That is 2 Mom."
Xander:  "I like your teeth."
Quinae:  "Uh, okay now you have to do one about something you think they are good at.
Soren:  "I like it when you made my Christmas list."
Quinae:  "What?  That didn't happen.  Did you make his Christmas list Xander?"
Xander:  "Yeah!"  He then proceeded to show me his transcription of Soren's Christmas list.  He then felt so proud of himself and how nice he was."
Xander: "I like it when you clean the bathroom for me."
Quinae:  "What?  That didn't happen.  Soren did you clean the bathroom for Xander?"
Soren: "Yeah.  Once I did."
Quinae:  "Wow, okay, um, last one.  I want you to say why you like having the other one as a brother."
Soren:  "Xander I like when your so crazy."  Then Soren acts out how crazy Xander is, which looks like he is having a seizure.
Quinae:  "No, no, no, lets not promote craziness, do another one."
Soren:  "Xander I like when we read books together."
Xander:  "I like playing legos with you.......when your nice." He adds as a jab.

Ohhhhh!  The love I was looking for - attained!  It is a Christmas miracle!  Hot waffles for everyone!  Okay some were less hot, but I did flip Xander's switch.  The rest of the morning he planned things he could do for people for Christmas.  If only he could remain in this mode longer.  I must become a master Xander "switch flipper."


2 comments:

Cailean said...

Ahhhhhh...we are so the same. I do that method all the time and it works AND yes so entertaining for us moms. In fact last night my six year old son was being mean to his sisters so I made him say 5 nice things to each of them but for his younger sister he couldn't do it seriously so I made him come up with more and more until he said a real and sincere one. It took him 25 "compliments" to finally say one even close to normal ("I like your eyeball").

lilibet said...

That went well! Was that Shanda who gave you the idea?