Monday, December 5, 2011

Ooops

A couple of days ago I randomly and spontaneously remembered Rescue 911. It was my favorite show as a kid, and when I say kid I mean like 7 yrs old. I was a fan the moment I saw an episode. I loved everything about it. So I decided to google it to see if there were any episodes on line. There are a bunch on you tube so without thinking I said, "Hey boys want to watch my favorite show when I was a kid?" I didn't think much about it, I mean I watched it as a kid and loved it so surly it will be fine for my boys. I clicked on an episode randomly. It was about a little 4 year old who got sucked in the escalator. Some unknown way, the kid sleeve of this shirt got caught and then the back of his shirt got sucked in. They didn't shut it off for awhile and it continued to suck his shirt down that it started to strangle the boy. The pressure was so high from the strangling that it popped many of his superficial blood vessels on the skin of his face. It was actually quite traumatizing to watch. Soren started to cover his face and started to moan, "Mom, how can this be your favorite show as a kid?"

That question sort of made me laugh. I mean, he had a point, but it was. I loved this show. "Uh, well, I know he is in a lot of danger right now, but he is going to be alright in the end. Look, see all these nice strangers trying to help the boy? Isn't great to see people help each other?"

Soren still covered his face in horror with occasional moans of distress. I wondered if I should shut it off. I debated what was worse - seeing something traumatizing that isn't resolved with a happy ending or seeing something traumatizing and having that be the last thing in your mind. I decide to let them finish watching it. Xander never moaned, cringed, or covered his face. He laughed a forced laugh at times and pronounced his love of the show. It was all a little forced and I wondered if this was how he was dealing with stress. Xander happily reviewed how good he is at using the escalator and what he does to prevent problems (jump the gap).

Right after watching this show we went to Winco to pick up a few things before our trip to Whistler. On our way home Xander said, "I can't get that show out of my head." "Yeah me too" Soren joined in. That is when I figured I really screwed up my kids. Ooops.

Well today we were at the mall and took the escalator up to the second floor - per the request of both my kids. Soren jumped on with no problem. But Xander hesitated and I don't know what came over me, but I said, "yeah, that is the spot that little boy got stuck on." I was saying it more like a guided tour then to freak out my kid. I had already hopped on the escalator at this point and started going up. Xander stayed stationary and then cried out in horror terrified to go on by himself.........Yup, I screwed him up. You see, Xander is the one you have to watch. Soren wears all his emotions on his sleeve and hides nothing. Soren is comfortable being emotional. Xander on the other hand will act one way to cover his true feelings, so he doesn't really deal with his feelings until it all becomes too much. It is really strange. Who would have guess. I would have definitely thought that would be the other way around for the boys.

For the next 30 minutes we talk about how it is actually hard to get stuck in an escalator and if you use it correctly (standing) then you won't get stuck. Anything that helps promotes the proper use of things is always a bonus for my family. Then Xander began to review general emergencies.
"When I get my arm cut off I am going to call the policeman and not the fireman. I like policemen more then firemen."
"If I can't wake you mom, I will call 911, but I know how to wake you right?"
"Where is the stop button on the escalators? Can kids push them?"
"Do you know anyone that got their leg cut off an uses a fake leg. Can I see them?"
Ect.

Well, they seem to be dealing with it well....... I think. I just keep staying factual and give them options on how to deal with situations and that seems to keep them on the question side of curious instead of the emotional side. I can't help myself.

Oh Rescue 911, why do I love you so?

5 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

I loved that show to a wee child...haha
Your kids are just a little too young. They will love it in no time.

Sheryl said...

You're not the only one that loved some show as a kid only to show it to kids and it not turn out so well. I think kids today have to deal with so much more and it is not as innocent as when we were kids.

Kacey said...

Heehee. I loved that show too! I'm not sure how my kids would respond to watching it. Maybe I should try it..... :)Or maybe not... Jack thought he was dying on Sunday with his minor cut.

lilibet said...

I've made mistakes like that, too. It's hard to judge maturity levels until you're in the middle of something ... like when Travis decided to explain proxy baptisms to Abby. That didn't go well.

Cailean said...

!!!! Quinae, you are too funny!