Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Rush 5K

The boys and I ran in Kent's Christmas rush. I am a fan of small city 5K's.  They are so fun because even if you are not that amazing of a runner, if you do actually run, you might place in the top 5 of your age group.  Love that. Makes you feel like a super star.  Although I have actually not placed dispute running in this thing for 3 years, I have been the 6th person in my age group, so maybe one day.  Then I can feel like a superstar!  This year however, instead of trying to make all my running races dream come true, I chose to be a trainer for my two boys.  Yup!  Our first family race!!  I had many a lofty dream of training with the boys and teaching them endurance and joy for moving our bodies, while getting fit and faster for the 5K.  The reality was we ran twice.  Soren complained a fair amount and Xander wanted to run on ahead, until a weird leg pain would come on, and then they both start complaining and it is me trying to convince them how fun it is to get fit, even though I hate running just to get fit.  Oh well. You win some you loose some.  So we only did it twice and neither time did we hit the 3 mile mark.  So, you can imagine I had no idea what to expect on race day.

Race day was FREEZING!  It was about 22 degrees and so we dressed to stay warm - not really running apparel.  But I assumed little boys wouldn't run if they were too cold so I opted for hats, gloves, 2 pants, coats - the works.  I really wanted Ryan to come out and support us racing, but couldn't justify bringing a 2 month old out in this weather.  So here we are before we begin. I try to force my boys to look chummy.  Soren is always game for a quality hugging picture, but Xander is too cool for that.




So the horn sounded and we were off.  Soren is not very aggressive, but I knew Xander would get caught up in his competitive spirit.  After the first 2 minutes, Xander wanted to run up ahead.  I didn't want Soren left, knowing he would need the extra moral and physical push, so told Xander to stay with the crown of runners and once over the finish line to wait for us next to the line so he wouldn't miss us. Although a small race compared to Seattle, there are still 1,500 people running, plus all their families, so I was a teensy bit worried we could potentially loose Xander.  But he ran ahead and I hoped for the best.  Overall Soren did really well.  I held his hand for a lot of it and he sort of trailed me.  After the halfway point, we did a bit of walking then running episodes.  In the last mile he saw a friend, Trevor Hales - a 5 year old running the race with his dad.  Soren would get bursts of competitive spirit and catch up with Trevor and then fall behind.  We eventually over took him and I could be more proud!  That is right Soren!  Crush the 5 year olds!!  We finished the race in 38 plus minutes.  Luckily there at the finish line was Xander looking relieved we meet up.  Xander beat out time by 8 minutes.  He ran 10 plus minute miles.  He was the fastest 6 year old and boy was he proud of that!  It was fun to ran with my boys and I hope to do it again in the future.

No comments: