Sunday, June 10, 2012

Starting Young


When ever I work out in the shop and the boys catch wind of that, they want me to build them things.  "Mom can you build me a priate ship that my friends and I can sit in?"
"Mom can you build me a toy car?"  
"Mom can you build me a sword?"
"Mom can you build me an axe?"
"Mom can you build me the weapon I designed on this piece of paper?"

I can't tell you how many countless "designs" Soren has given me and requested I get to work.  He usually says something like this.  "Mom, it is really easy.  First you take a piece and you cut it like this (points at a part of the design).  Then nails these two pieces together and then put this piece on but first cut it like this......"ect.  

Sometimes I whip them up a sword or shield because they are quick, but I usually say no. I feel like I don't have enough time.  This has lead to them building things on their own.  But since they aren't allowed to cut anything they scrounge for scraps.  Friday before bed they built these.  
 This is Xander's sword he built and painted.  I didn't even know he could effectively nail wood together.  You might wonder which end you hold as the cross handle part is sort of long, but it is lying on its side.  
 This is lethal pokey thing Soren made and is now dismantled due to is lethal effectiveness.
This is a riffle Soren built and painted.  This actually fits under his arm quite well and it was a bit worrisome that he knew just know what to do with this.  


I don't know why I buy toys.  Scraps of wood, cardboard, tape, glue and some paint can keep the boys busy for a very long time.  Granted it does make a lot of mess.....

1 comment:

Natalie Smith said...

You are the coolest mom ever!