Sunday, July 31, 2011

Girlfriends

You may think this title is for me. Where I blog about all the girlfriends I have and love. Well, although I should do that, that is not what this title is for. This title is for Soren's girlfriend. That is right, by son has his first girlfriend. He has asked several girls to marry him last year in preschool, but this is his first girlfriend - or so he tells me. Today after church he comes running up to me and whispers, "McKenzie and I are boyfriend and girlfriend.

Quinae, "Oh? How do you know that?"
Soren, "We just decided now in the hall. We both said we would be each others boyfriend and girlfriend."
Not knowing what to say I just said, "Well, congratulations Soren."

McKenzie is our 6yr old neighbor directly behind us. We don't have a fence between us and the kids go over to each others houses freely. She is adorable as all the kids are over there and there is no way he isn't going to fall in love with her and perhaps all her sisters. The first thing I thought was, "Awesome. My son is already in love with the girl next door. His life is going to be filled with drama and heart ache." After getting home from church and thinking more of this I thought we should talk more of the subject.

Quinae, "Soren, did you know the prophet taught us we shouldn't date until we are 16?"
Soren, "Yeah, primary taught me that."
Surprised and doubtful, I decided to investigate this more.
Quinae, "What is dating?" (we have never talked about dating or girlfriends for that matter)
Xander jumps in with, "I know what dating is. Dating is when 2 people go off with each other."
Soren, "Yeah and they go to a movie and eat dinner.
Wow, maybe primary has taught this.
Investigating Soren's knowledge more I ask, "What do boyfriend and girlfriends do?"
Soren, "I don't know. Well, actually I do but it is a secret."
Trying to get some early brain washing in I say, "Actually real boyfriend and girlfriends always tell their mom's everything they do."
And without missing a beat Soren said, "Not this boyfriend."

I laughed out of shock and stress.

15 minutes later Soren shows me a card that has hearts and his name on it. He was trying to spell the word dancing but screwed up and ended up cutting it out. He then announced his intentions.
Soren, "Mom, can I run over and give this to McKenzie?"
Quinae, "What is it?"
Soren, "It is a card for a dance show."
Quinae, "What is a dance show?"
Soren, "A dance show is when she comes over to my house and I dance for her..........and then we eat dinner."
Quinae, "Is that a date" That kind of sounds like a date."
Soren, "No, it is just dancing and dinner."

I promptly called McKenzie's Mom to relay this whole story as Soren gives the card to McKenzie in the backyard.
Alita, "Wow, good luck with that"
Quinae, "Hey, I am calling you for advice!"

I never in a million years thought I would talk about dating with my 5 year old boy.

He really does love girls and beautiful girly things. When I came back form girls camp my fingernails were painted and I was wearing a necklace, but my hair was disheveled and my clothes were dirty. Upon my return, in true awe and appreciation Soren declared, "Mom you're so beautiful!" And then he touched my necklace and stroked my nails.

That evening we went to a friends for a BBQ and there was a pretty woman with painted nails, nice makeup and done up hair. At some point in the evening he picked a perfect rose from the garden, walked up to her and smiled and gave it to her and walked away. She was so amazed by the gesture she couldn't help but talk about it for 10 minutes. Later I was talking to her and Soren came up to me to ask a question. Before he could I said, "Soren, I heard you gave this lady a rose. That was so nice." He embarrassingly smiled and briefly buried his face in my elbow.

He is so cute........and I am totally scared for the future.


5 comments:

Dawn said...

ROTFLOL!

Natalie Smith said...

Wow...ladies man at such a young age. I love this story...

Kacey said...

Soren is such a ladies man!! I think I saw them talking about their relationship after primary, but I don't recall hearing a lesson on dating on primary, but I'm not in there all the time, so maybe there was a lesson I missed....I love the dinner and dancing idea- I'll have to pass that along to Clint for a date idea.

Koko said...

I miss seeing those boys and this is just so funny! Sounds like he likes older women as well! haha

Cailean said...

This is SO adorable, I can't even stand it!