Tuesday, May 17, 2011

They Hatched!!

They Hatched!! The chicks prodominently hatched on Mothers day. The first one hatched the day before while I was at work - of course! That is what happend last time. My co-workers thought someone died when I found out. Ryan called me and said, "I have a surprise for you. Listen." Then he put the phone next to the incubator where I could hear the little chick chirping. "What?! No way. I can't believe it" I yelped. "How could this happen. Ryan! I can't believe it! This is terrible!" You know me. When I am excited at all my voice can be heard 50 feet away. So I had the attention of the whole unit. I then quickly explained to my co-workers with an exasperated voice, "My chicks are hatching without me again!" With that everyone went back to work. Why does this not bother anyone else. Did you hear me. MY CHICKS ARE HATCHING WITHOUT ME. Seriously? No one cares? Strange.

Here they are getting dried

They are perking up more now. Chicks are crazy cute. They start getting their feathers quickly and only look like a classic chick for about 3 days. By day 7 they fully have entered what I deem the akward chick faze. Half fluff half feathers.
They hatched all night long and all day on Mothers day. I missed most of them but saw plenty. 28 of the 33 hatched alive and well. One died while trying to hatch. I didn't noticed it piped so I didn't even know it died for a while later. One was struggling and dispite what they say, I helped it hatched and it seems to be doing fine. There was one yoke and 3 that only partially hatched. Of course I had to open all the unhatched eggs. The partially developed ones were so cool and a bit sad......but even more cool! This one still has a giant yoke sack with a lot of innards in it.
Soren picked out a favorite chick and has been loyal ever since. He is so good with them he gets full access at all times. Once I did find him throwing the chick in the air about 3 feet and it was landing on a couch cushion on the floor. "Soren what are you doing?" I questioned in horror. "We don't throw baby chicks!" (how many times have you had to say that to your kids?). "I was just teaching him to fly." He informed me. "That could hurt the chick very badly." With helpful tone Soren explained, "I know. That is why I put a couch cushion down."
My sisters kids stayed with me the following week after the chicks hatched for 3 days. I was so happy I had the chicks. They kept my nieces so busy and happy. They held them constantly.
I love this picture. Just spending quality time with his chick.
I spy a chick. How about you?

No comments: